Termites are considered to be the most destructive insect pests in the world. They contribute directly to building and structural damage yearly, causing major financial loss for persons’ homes and businesses. In Trinidad, there are about 300 different species of termites. However, of these, the Coptotermes species are branded as “public enemy 1”.
- Coptotermes acinaciformis
- Copotetermes frenchi
- ‘Giant Termite’ Mastotermes darwiniensis
- Cryptotermes spp. (native to Trinidad & Tobago)
- ‘West indian Drywood Termite’ Cryptotermes brevis
- Termite Queen & King – The function of the Queen and King is to reproduce.
- Termite Workers – They make up the largest number within a colony. They do all the work (except defend and reproduce)
- Termite Soldiers – Defends the colony against predators such as ants.
- Alates – the future Queens and Kings; winged reproductives that swarm out the nest and establish new colonies.