There are over 1,300 known species of ants in Trinidad & Tobago, majority of which prefer sunny climates. Ants are ubiquitous. Some common species are:
- Argentine ants (Myrmecia sp)
- Black House ant (Ochtellus sp)
- Garden ant (Lasius niger)
- Ghost ant (Tapinoma melanocephalum)
- Pavement ant (Tetramorium caespitum)
- Pharaoh’s ant (Monomorium pharaonis)
Ants are nuisance pests. They are not commonly known to carry diseases however they can carry germs and bacteria inside from outside into your house or business. Ants travel in a wide range searching for food, following established trails around the source of food. Small piles of earth around holes in soil and at the base of exterior walls are an indication of their nest or origin.